If you find that you need to set up information for one of your lists where there is no corresponding field, you can assign a Custom Field to fill that role. For example, if you're in the habit of sending your customers a greeting card every year on their birthday, you can establish a custom field that will let you track their birthday information.
Using the Custom Fields function allows you to establish your own criteria for each one of the Types (i.e. PO, Sales Orders, Repair Orders etc.) by creating a custom field where additional action is required.
In addition to information, custom fields can now contain calculations. Calculated Custom Fields allow you to create complex inventory formulas and add them to any Page or List in Order Time Inventory.
Setting up Custom Fields
To create a custom field you must be logged in as the Admin user. Click on the Gear icon on the top right of the screen then select Custom Fields under the Settings Section.
In the scrolling list, on the left-hand side of your screen you will see a list of Record Types for which to create the Custom field. For example if you want to create a custom field for a customer, click the Customer Type from the left-hand side list.
Custom Field Record Types:
- Customer Nos
- Sales Rep
- Adjustment Items
- Receive Items
- Receive Items Items
- Lot / Serial #s
- Purchase Order
- Purchase Order Items
- Sales Order
- Sales Order Items
- Order Line Promise Dates
- Ship Doc
- Ship Doc Items
- Ship Doc Package Item
- Ship Doc Package
- Transfer Items
- Value Adjustment
- Value Adjustment Items
- WorkOrder Components
- Work Order
After you click the desired Record Type, you will see a list of custom fields. The list contains the following columns.
- Field - Represents the actual name of the field in the database.
- Caption - Represents the name of the custom field that the users will see when entering data.
- Type - Is the type of field the user will be prompted to enter (i.e. Text, Date, Pick List, Yes/No).
- Delete - Remove the custom field.
Click an existing Field or click the Add Custom Field.
- The First thing you will enter is the Caption that will appear when users enter their data.
- Type a caption you want added to a specific function (i.e. Tracking Number)
- After writing the caption, you will select if the user is Required to enter a value in the custom field before being able to save.
- Next you will select the Type of Custom Field
- Text (you can select the Length of this field)
- ID - An integer.
- Pick List (you can select the List Value)
- Click on Save when done
The software will automatically copy custom fields between records when the custom fields Have the Same Name and Type. For example, if you also had 'Cancel on B/O' on the sales order and ship doc custom fields, you would enter the value once on the sales order and it would be copied to the ship doc when the sales order is filled. The following table shows how custom fields are copied:
|Custom Fields From||Copied To|
|Item||Sales Order Line Item|
Work Order Component
Purchase Order Line Item
Receiver Item Line Item
Ship Doc Line Item
|Sales Order||Ship Doc|
|Sales Order Line Item||Ship Doc Line Item|
Purchase Order Line Item (Linked POs Only)
|Purchase Order Line Item||Receiver Line Item|
Calculated Custom Fields
Alright let's create a basic calculation and add it to our Item Detail Screen & Item List.
We'll Create a Margin % Field —
This is the amount of gross profit a business earns when an item is sold. For example, if you have to pay $15 for each sweater and you then sell it to customers for $39, your retail margin equals $24. This in turn is a 61.5% Margin.
Margin % = ((Retail Price - Cost) ÷ Retail Price) x 100)
- Choose Properties by clicking on Property. When chosen they will appear in the expression window.
(All Properties Marked with a 1 above)
- Click Value to add a numerical value. For example the number 100 in the expression above.
(Value Marked with a 2 above)
- Click If to create an If/Then Statement.
- Click and drag Mathematical Operators (+ - / * ^) into the expression window. Then drag them into the position you want.
- Click Eval once you are finished making your expression. You'll receive a Pass message, letting you know the expression works.
- Click Save when you are finished.
** If the calculation includes a denominator that is equal to 0 Order Time will set it to 1 to prevent a divide by 0 error. **
Adding a Custom Field to a Page
We'll Add our Margin % to the Item Details Page —
We'll Add our Margin % to a column on the Item List —